William and Jemima Ross originally built Ross House on the shores of the Red River at the foot of Market Avenue. William's father Alexander had provided the land.
Ross house had its beginnings in 1852, when construction comm mensed on William Ross's log home.Ross was appointed Post Master in 1855 by the Council of Assiniboia and he operated the post office from his home.
In 1949, the Manitoba Historical Society, in conjuction with the City of Winnipeg, took possesion of Ross house and moved it to Higgins Avenue, across from the former Canadian Pacific Railway passenger station.
In 1984 it was moved to its present location on Meade Street North in Point Douglas Heritage Park, in the Joe Zuken Heritage Park.
Ross House is important because it was the first Post Office in Western Canada. It provides a glimpse into the operation of an early postal service, as well as into the lives of the Ross family in paticular and 1850's homestead life in general.
The Ross House Museum is owned by the City of Winnipeg, and operated by the Manitoba Historical Society. The Society is responsiblefor collection and display of artifacts in the Ross House, and provides personnel to operate the Museum.
The construction of the Ross House is a prime example of a Red River frame building. The building itself is as much a part of the museum as the artifacts it contains. It is made entirely of oak timber. All the logs used for construction were hand carved.
The Museum hosts an interpretive exhibit as well as rooms set to reflect the life of the Ross family when their home served as the post office.